Lies, damned lies, and marketing.

You should read into the stupid shit marketers do to get you to buy shit.

Right now I'm looking for a webcam. There are too many idiots on youtube to not talk back to, and comments suck. I live near a Radioshack, so I went to Radioshack's website to see what webcams they have and which to avoid. (Note: I did not go to google and type in "webcams" for reasons that will become apparent soon.) I found the following review. As you read it, try to guess who was writing it:

I Purchased this item for my wife so she can chat with her family in thge P.I. This webcam never shows dark shadows with it's rightlight technology & you don't get that annoying echo sound when speaking to someone because of the rightsound technology. It comes with alot of software so you can do many things with this camera. Also my 2yr old son loves taking his own photos with the camera.


It's almost funny how poorly disguised this is to someone that knows how to see it. Someone from Logitech posted a fake review on the Radioshack website. And they didn't hide it very well. It's like the marketing guy just decided one day to put a fake review up to improve sales. If you didn't see it before, read it again. Especially the way the idiot marketer uses (probably copyrighted, patented, and trademarked) "rightlight technology...rightsound technology". Legitimate customers don't bother naming the technologies because they don't give a shit; they just want it to work (except in a few rare cases like gaming consoles and other things people get extremely fanboyish about). Compare these two:

"Works. Installed easily, sharp picture. Would recommend."

"Love it! Easy installation with the included CD-ROM. Compatible with Windows 98 and up. Perfect for talking to friends on Skype. I recommended it to my parents and brother, they love it too!"

Notice: Name dropping. Uncontainable excitement. Present tense. Suggested use.

For a short time I looked into internet marketing. I saw the tricks of the marketing trade, the recommendations about how to manipulate people to make them click the "BUY NOW ONLY $27" button or the "YES! Subscribe me for only $4.95 per month!" Everyone should read this shit. Once you know how it works, it stops working on you. Marketing is all about bullshitting. Honest marketers cannot survive, they need lies, gimmicks, lies, misrepresentations, lies, scare tactics, lies, and even lies in order to get people to buy shit. Unless the honest marketer is a fucking genius pioneer in marketing techniques and reaching likely buyers more effectively than anybody else, they're going nowhere but broke, and even then, other marketers will just rip off the technique and use it themselves.

AOL has this hilariously bad but disgustingly effective tactic for keeping AOL users on AOL. I don't know if they still use it, but I'm inclined to believe they do. I don't have AOL and never will, so I couldn't call to cancel if I wanted. First, whoever at AOL picks up the phone when you call them to cancel, has specific instructions: DO NOT LET THEM CANCEL. Instead, their job is to figure out why you're cancelling and then show you that you are wrong to cancel because see that's not a bug it's actually a feature, or "look lemme just give you two free months and you can make your decision at the end of another two months, don't be rash, etc."

Did I mention you should read into the stupid shit marketers pull to get you to buy stuff?

Taors is gonna hate me for this, because he got really mad at me last time I mentioned it. This is his website (click me). On this website, which is pretty bad for an internet marketing campaign, he uses several of the internet marketer's tricks. I use his website as an example of what kind of site NOT to buy from. It reeks of marketing. The use of color to emphasize text. The quotes (which are all bullshit, just look at the sources: all websites full of other internet marketers). The bills in a woman's hand at the top. The checkmarks by the feature list. The threat that the book could go up to $39 at any time. The idea that buying the book brings you into an exclusive insider club of book scouters. The "forbidden fruit" of the "closely guarded secrets". Promises of independence and profits, later defaulted on in the earnings disclaimer.

I'm not jeopardizing a single sale of his by posting this. Even if I become the top hit for bookscoutingsuccess.com on every search engine. Because the kind of people that buy from websites like this are the kind of people that are too stupid to do any independent research or verification of claims.

I know Taors. He's a pothead slacker dropout from Kentucky who spends his time posting stupid immature one-offs on libertarian forums. He's no businessman. He's no entrepreneur. He doesn't even have the technical competence to put his own website together (see bottom for the name of the designer). What does his website say about him? He's a book scouter who used the income from this lucrative opportunity to fund a vacation to New Hampshire last year, and now he's offering you nothing less for the low, low introductory price of only $27!

And let me say it again. You should read into the stupid shit marketers pull to get you to buy their shit.

No comments: